Introducing Kim Howe’s New Blog: From Shot to Pot

Posted Oct 3, 2012
Introducing Kim Howe’s New Blog: From Shot to Pot

Foxworthy Outdoors is pleased to introduce you to Kim Howe. Kim currently resides with her two children and motley crew of animals outside of Pine Mountain, Ga.  She was brought up in a family of avid outdoorsman in Central Pennsylvania and learning to shoot and hunt was an instrumental part of her upbringing. A shooting career as part of the U.S. Shooting Team and U.S .Army Marksmanship team provided her with wonderful hunting opportunities. Her blog will add a woman's perspective and humor into the hunting world along with recipes. Please join us as we welcome Kim to the Foxworthy Outdoors community and her "From Shot to Pot" blog!

Greetings and welcome to “From Shot to Pot!” I am super excited to share my love for the outdoors combined and my love for cooking. I hope to present you some great stories, ranging from preparing for the big hunting season to savoring a delicious prepared dinner of wild game.

My first story is from quite a few years ago. I was 12 years old and born and raised in a very small town in Central Pennsylvania. Part of my school's curriculum was to bring the game warden into the classroom to educate and test all of the students in order for everyone to receive their Pennsylvania Hunting License permit. I remember listening intently to the game warden, Mr. Lebish. I also remember the nerves of taking the test because I knew that my hunting future depended on getting that little fluorescent orange hunting permit card, which 25 years later I still have. Luckily, I easily passed the test, and I knew I just unlocked the door to start hunting with my dad.

My dad, like any good father eagerly purchased my first hunting rifle that I often still use today. It is a Ruger .250-3000 with a manlicher stock. The caliber is big enough to accurately shoot a deer up to 200 to 300 yards away, but not too big to knock down a 12-year-old girl or make her gun shy. After lots of practice and testing out different loads with my dad, we were ready to go out into the woods in search of my first whitetail buck.

My family is fortunate to own 400 acres of land that backs up to literally tens of thousands of acres of state game land in Pennsylvania. I mentioned how my school had the game warden come in as part of the curriculum to issue hunting license permits. Well, the same school district also had the first two days of buck season off from school as well. If the school did not officially take school holidays off for buck season, there would not be enough students in attendance to legally run school.

So instead of being in a classroom, I was with my dad in the middle of the forest with my .250-3000 waiting on my first buck. Well…the one thing I didn't practice before hunting season was the art of sitting still for hours at a time in below freezing temperatures. Needless to say my 12- year-old body was having a difficult time sitting still, and my dad was getting more irritable by the minute. After what I thought was an eternity of sitting still, we got up and moved to a different location. We did this technique all day, which is not one that I would advise because the only things I saw were squirrels and a few tweety birds. There were absolutely no deer to be seen!

At nightfall we headed back to the cabin. With the heat of the woodstove returning warmth to my bones after being outside all day, I quickly fell asleep before dinner.

The next morning was a new day! I was filled with excitement and after hearing a lecture on how I have to sit still, I was ready to try again. Well this day was very similar to the first day. Actually, the entire hunting season was like the first day. I went through my first hunting season without even seeing a deer, let alone a buck.

Allow me to fast forward to a year later and a year older. It was the second day out in the woods with my dad, and as I was gazing up in the sky, my dad nudged me and pointed to the 11 o’clock location. I slowly and quietly raised my gun to look through the scope at what he was pointing out to me. I looked through my sights and to my astonishment there was a deer. Not just any deer, it was buck!

To this day, I can recall putting the rifle down turning to my dad and loudly whispering, "It's a buck!"

My dad's response was, "Shoot it!"

I slowly placed the rifle butt onto my right shoulder, put my cheek on the stock, lined up the scope with the buck, turned the safety to off, placed my finger on the trigger and squeezed the  until I heard the bang. My first buck was shot from about 100 yards away and it dropped like a sack of potatoes. I was so happy, and the look on my dad's face was priceless as well.

My dad and I went to see my first buck. It was a nice-sized 7-point. We dressed it out (or I should say he dressed it out), and we both dragged it a couple miles back to the cabin.

I believe there is something special about your first deer. To share the experience with my dad made it even that more special. I will never forget the smell of the woods, the crisp air that filled my lungs, my index finger on the cold metal of the trigger, the flash of the muzzle and the sight of the steam coming off the deer as it lay before me. All unforgettable moments in time.

Now it's time for me to take you from the Shot to the Pot! There is nothing better than preparing and eating something that I had killed, so I will share with you one of my favorite and easiest recipes!


1 Venison Roast - Cube into 1 to 2 inches
1 can of tomato soup
1 packet of dry onion soup mix


Mix tomato soup soup and dry onion soup mix together in crock pot. Mix in cubed venison meat.
Cover crock pot.
Place on Low and cook all day (8 hours)
Serve over noodles or mashed potatoes. So easy, so good!

recipes, whitetail hunting, rifle hunt